Saturday, September 5, 2015

Pie Time

   I have decided to start sharing some of my recipes here every Saturday. The reason behind branching out from the paper crafts posts is because I also have the love of cooking/baking. It is something I do everyday and find it just as relaxing as sitting in my studio playing with pretty papers.
 I figure today's one would be perfect for this holiday weekend. It is a mixed berry pie with a nice bright citrus note that makes this pie pop even more. Like all my pies, this is packed with tons of fruit and hardly any sugar. Plus, cleanup is fast, that is always a good thing.

Ingredients for crust:
1 c. flour
1/3 c. cold butter
pinch of salt
1 - 3 Tbsp. cold water

Directions:
1. In a food processor pulse flour, salt and butter until the mixture has a coarse consistency.
2. While the processor is running add a tablespoon water at a time. Add enough water to form a dough.
3. Chill while you prepare the filling.

Ingredients for pie filling:
2 lb. strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 c. blueberries
3 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1 organic lemon, zested and juice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
2. On a lightly floured surface roll dough out large enough to fit into a 9 inch glass pie plate.
3. In a large bowl, mix berries, flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, lemon zest and juice.
4. Pour filling into crust top with the remaining sugar.
5. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes. Until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden.

1 comment:

  1. This looks soooo yummy! I'm excited for your recipes! Maybe it will motivate me to learn to cook/bake a bit more. This recipe might be a little ambitious for me, but it definitely looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete